Kildare County Council Offices
|Project Title: ||Kildare County Council Offices|
|Client: ||Kildare County Council|
|Value: ||$50.4 million|
|Completion date: ||2004|
The award winning design of the new Kildare County Council Civic Office building pushes the boundary of cutting edge Engineering and Architecture to achieve clean lines, transparency, visibility and uncompromised visual impact. Located on a 3.2 hectare site, the building consists of two 100m long, glass-clad buildings, inter-connected by a series of ramps housed in a glass link-structure.
- The architectural characteristics of this building presented TPE Consulting Engineers with a number of structural engineering challenges. Fundamentally, the building itself is not vertical, with the end sections inclined at1:6, which in itself poses stability issues not encountered in conventional projects.
- A 9m long, 3-storey high Council Chamber “floating” in mid-air over the park (without any columns below), to create un-interrupted views. This structure was designed dynamically to avoid any potential problems with vibration.A 3-storey high atrium, 45m long, with cantilevered slabs
- Slabs with sloping soffits
- Very few and very slender supporting elements
- Connections and structural elements were specifically designed to be hidden within the concrete floor slabs to provide clean lines to the buildings form· Eco-friendly design involving energy conservation, natural air-ventilation, and the use of re-directed sun-light
TPE Consulting Engineers were delighted to be part of the design of such an exciting and dynamic building. In all our projects, we continue to strive towards providing innovative and cost effective solutions to complex problems.
2006 Sustainable Energy Award
2006 Opus Award